17 October 2011

Lookout Mountain Summit...

...and away we walk!
Exploring the new stuff. 
     Well...we hiked in Phoenix, Arizona for Lookout Mountain Summit. :) It was Simon's birthday this past weekend, so we decided to spend it with my parents and BOY did he have fun! It was an impromptu hike and it was amazing. This place has seven summits to view from. We hiked Trail #308. It's pretty manageable. It's hard on the feet and paws though. So bring extra shoes AND TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF WATER!!! Even though this hike was only 2 miles round trip, that dang on heat will get you good. I dumped a bunch of ice in my water bottles along with Simon's water bottles. We left around 0830 and we got done about 1130ish. It was perfect weather at around 81 degrees and when we were done it was about 96. BLEH.

My parents. :)
This trail is not out in the middle of no where by any means. It's literally right next to a housing complex. Which if you get lost, someone is bound to hear you. I recommend to bring baby wipes too. I used a bunch of them. I've never sweat so much on one hike, in my entire life until this one. haha. I also recommend bringing food to munch on. I was feeling a bit drained during this hike. Sunscreen or a light breathable jacket is always swell too. The elevation change to the summit is about 500 feet. 
At the top of the summit.
The mountain is awesome. Simple as that. We literally walked around the mountain for a few hours. My parents really enjoyed it too. The trails can start either from the left or from the right. Lookout Mountain Summit is located off Greenway Parkway and 16th Street. Make a left at the light if you are coming from Scottsdale. I'm not too sure how to get to this place otherwise, but it's super easy...just "lookout" for the "mountain". :) The best part is...NO PARKING FEES!!!!! Wonderful I say, wonderful. You do need to pick up after your dog and they must be leashed to be on these trails. Love that rule. No stupid people and their maniac dogs off leash running a muck. 


























Signs of heat stroke. :(


We are spent! 
Notice! My mom is not in ANY of the summit photos...she is deathly afraid of heights. I am too, but I am slowly easing into getting the height phobia fixed. :) I believe Simon almost had a heat stroke when we were done. NEVER EVER, EVER let your dog lay on their side when they are panting like crazy...that's the first sign. If that happens like it did to me, pour water on their face, ears, back and remove any vest or hiking jackets so that they can get some air. Make sure to give them some extra water after the hike is done, along with some treats for energy. :)





  
The birthday boy gets his own vanilla custard cone. :)








































































No comments:

Post a Comment