24 September 2011

All things considered...

     I've learned to be savvy about hiking. You are to NEVER forget anything! You never know if you will be hiking longer than you originally planned. Many people think that if you have a known trail, you'll be fine and there is nothing to worry about. You better think again! Although I have never encounter such a luckless hike, there are things I always carry and maybe you should consider them too. I'll post pictures. They are much more interesting than reading. :)

Merrell Barefoot Series
These shoes are perfect for day hikes or longer hikes. I'd recommend bring an extra pair of shoes when hiking. Your feet need a break too. I hike up in the blue and hike down in the purple. Your feet naturally start to swell when you exercise. I prefer to hike in higher elevation for the views so my feet take a beating. I don't wear socks with these shoes. Their name says it all...Barefoot! They are odor resistant so you don't have to worry about that awkward smell after you use them. I would work for Merrell because I love these shoes...and the rest of their products! They have cute colors. There are different types of "models" of these shoes. Some range from being really open and breathable to closed and warm depending on what weather you rendezvous to. The blue ones are called, Lithe Glove. They are warmer than most. The purple ones are called, Pace Glove. These are mesh on the top. My shoes are great for walking, running, hiking, biking and pretty much anything. :)



Eddie Bauer TrailHead Backpack

First aid kit is always a must

<<<<Self explanatory. You always need a first aid kit, always! I bought mine at Eddie Bauer. They have the perfect size first aid kits for a backpack. I LOVE EDDIE BAUER. It has come in handy many times on Simon and I's hikes. Simon walked right into a stupid cactus field. Oh my goodness. It was intense. I got this kit for about $17 at Eddie Bauer. It's a tri-fold kit. :)


>>>>>This is one of 3 back packs I have and they are all from EB aka Eddie Bauer.They are the ideal hikers packs. This particular pack has a built in emergency whistle, which I thought was pretty neat. I paid $39.95 plus a military discount, plus the EB had a sale going on all of their packs and gear. Always a bargain!!! It has 3 compartments built in this pack. You have to option to use it for school since it has a laptop holder, or use it for other stuff. EB is expensive, BUT they have a lifetime guarantee on ALL of their products. That's a huge PLUS for this gal!! 

Portable food/water bowls for your pup












     These bowls from Outward Hound are MARVELOUS. They are waterproof so it makes it easier to store. Simon carries all of his stuff, including his bowls. They are super cheap and fold flat. They are $5.99 at petsmart. They come in different colors. I got red since Simon's jacket is red. I also got his hike jacket from petsmart too. It's from the Outward Hound as well. It was about $30...give or take. 


Doggie food...at least 3 days worth.
Flashlights!!!
I always bring dog food for myself and for Simon. I use MRE's for me and I bring about 3 days worth of food for Simon. Make sure you bring lots of water as well. I use a camelback and I also bring about 8 bottles of water for Simon then I bring 2 bottles of Gatorade too. Just to stay hydrated. I over bring stuff, but I am never going to have to worry about lack of food and water. Other items I bring are extra clothes, a jacket and a blanket. My pack is big enough to hold all this stuff plus more. I buy all my hiking stuff at EB, since it is able to fold down to just the size of my hands put together. Many items EB sells come in foldaway options. That's how I like to roll. 


Last up to 120 hrs.



Other stuff you might consider...baby wipes, matches, tooth paste/brush, bug bands (EB sells them for $5, works miracles!!), dried fruit, compass, walking stick, a GUN, a knife (EB sells really nice ones, but I have a SOG Flash H)  and a few flashlights. Like I said before...I bring all this stuff with me, no matter if its a day hike or a 3 day hike. Stay alert, stay alive. :)

Baby wipes! $.88 at Walmart










J. Cay











No comments:

Post a Comment